Things are humming along as we get ready for 2012. Even though we don’t know what the political district boundaries will be for 2012, we are moving forward and planning for the February Caucuses and the March District Organizing Unit Convention as if nothing is going to change.
One thing that is changing for sure is our description. We currently are called Senate District 36. It is possible, even likely that our number will change, but the term Senate District is changing to Organizing Unit. So instead of SDs, we will use the abbreviation OUs.
Organizing Unit boundaries are expected to be set after the caucuses, but before the district conventions. If you attend a caucus in one unit, are elected to go to the district convention, and redistricting forces you to another district, it sounds like the DFL will account for allowing you to serve in the new unit.
Caucuses will be February 7, 2012. All Lakeville precincts will meet at Lakeville South High School. All Farmington precincts, along with Castle Rock, Empire Eureka and Coates will meet at Farmington High School. Douglas, Hampton, Marshan, Miesville, New Trier, Randolph, Ravenna, Vermillion and Welch will meet at the Black Stallion Grill in Hampton. And Greenvale, Scotia, Waterford, Dennison, Stanton, Warsaw and Northfield W-3, Precinct 3, will meet in conjunction with Senate District 25 at Northfield Middle School. I think the only change is Randolph and Randolph Township moving to the Hampton location.
We are scheduling a convention planning and committee meeting on February 11, 2012. If you plan to attend the convention, please plan on attending that meeting and helping on a committee. Committees include:
- Arrangements and Credentials –Convention setup, registration sign-in of Delegates, Alternates, Visitors. Prepares convention delegate reports during the convention.
- Resolutions – Organizes and report on the resolutions passed at the caucuses.
- Rules -Proposes the rules of the district convention
- Constitution -Recommends changes to the existing district constitution
- Nominations -Sets up a series of interviews for candidates wanting to screen for positions such as officers, board, state committees.
- In addition, we will need Tellers and Sergeant of Arms.
The next official meeting of our local DFL is set for January 5, 2012, 6:30pm at Lakeville Heritage Library. We will likely be discussing caucuses, conventions and finances. We will also have a volunteering opportunity in mid-January to stuff envelopes to send out caucus information to likely attendees. Finally, on December 5 we are having a holiday potluck get-together. If you are on our email list you should have received an invitation, if you are not on the list and would like to attend, contact Steve Quist via email.